Saturday 11 February 2012

Music

A very good friend of mine, in fact my best friend, got me thinking about music for the last week. She mentioned that she felt she didn't listen to music enough. It's true that in some environments listening to music isn't as easy as you would expect. I have been lucky in many respects when it comes to music. I have a love for music that I can't express strongly enough to show adequate appreciation. Since day one it has shaped my life. My father was obsessed and he passed this onto me. The bands he taught me about have given me an insight into culture that you can't buy or fake. I am happy to admit that I like a wide range of music, I am also the first to bitch about other peoples music tastes. The thing is I think I have earnt the right to (I haven't). I am also very lucky to have a beautiful mum and two equally beautiful sisters who also have the same appreciation, none of us can hold a note or play an instrument but we all listen to music on a daily basis and our tastes are part of who we each are. I would be lying if I didn't admit that music also has played a big part in all the relationships I've had. A song conjuers up the same feelings every time. You can be transported back to a time you may have forgotten, whether by choice or not. Now I don't mean in the sense of 'having a song' with someone, that is generic and a romantic sentiment. I will list the song for each  the loves I have had an lost (using initials)

CM - En Vogue  - Don't Let Go
HK - U2 The Sweetest Thing
PH - Neil Young  - Only Love Can Break You Heart
AS - Belle and Sebastian  - I'm a Cuckoo
GC - The Smiths - Asleep
JS - Morrissey - Suedehead
JL - Nick Drake - Northern Sky
AW - New Order - Ceremony

Well it seems so strange to see it written down. But actually their is no point in denying the fact that these songs have played a big part in my life. Music is something that bonds people together and I have never had a boyfriend/husband/lover that I haven't shared similar music tastes to. It is wonderful to be so happy and in love with music as the back drop to it all. The perfect evening is just being close with someone, talking for hours, sharing a bottle of wine and listening to the music that has created the soundtrack to your love.

I would be happy to be like that for the rest of my life x

No comments:

Post a Comment