Tuesday 21 February 2012

Yesterday

We had a huge donation a few weeks ago from an elderly lady who had passed away and her son had just bought all of personal belongings to us. Yesterday I found some letters in a handbag and initially I felt a wave of guilt for reading them because thet were deeply personal love letters, then I thought about it and I have sent love letters, letters of sheer desperation before and I quite liked the idea that in 40 years time someone might find them, read them and feel something, even if it was embarassment about my sorry state of affairs.

The woman had lost a very deep love when she was young and then out of the blue he had got in touch with her and said he had made a huge mistake and missed her. She had since maried and had children, lost her husband and become lonely so when this lover had got in touch with her she seemed to feel a wave of excitement that had become so unfamiliar to her that she didn't even recognise that it was a flash of love.

The letters were so well written, I knew that her son woulldn't have read them so I passed them back to him yesterday evening and after reading the first one he actually had tears in his eyes. He told me that his mother had actually married the man in question, Paul, and he had died the week before she had. He said that when they had married, 27 years ago, they had vowed to never be without each other again. Her son, although he missed his mother deeply, knew she was with the right person now. Honestly I am crying whilst typing this now because it is probably the most romantic and poignant story I've ever heard.

To have someone love you from afar even when there was no hope of anything coming of it and then managing to build that life together form no hope at all is so wonderful.... So for all those people who have lost love out there remember you never know what is around the corner xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is such an incredible story! I think it's absolutely wonderful that you gave these back to her son, I would have absolutely read them as well first too! Xo Lori
    http://lorilynn-alittlesliceofspecial.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete