Friday 20 April 2012

I get a kick out of you...

When you have a shop you inevitably get regular customers... Now this can be annoying but also it can be comforting. When you manage a charity shop you get a very ecclectic range of customers. This week I've had some very strage experiences that have really affected me. On Tuesday it was my first day back at work after a lovely little break from work and I was feeling fragile... So I put my Ella Fitgerald cd on and submerged myself into a large black coffee and my misery (standard Tuesday). Then this lovely lady comes in for a browse and to escape the horrid rain that was soaking everyone in Sheffield. She started lightly humming along to the music and then came over to the counter and proceeded to tell me about her husband passing away late last year after 52 years of marriage. Ella Fitgerald was his favourite singer and she said it gave her so much comfort to hear it now. She said initially the memories attached to it hurt too much but now she could hear him telling her to enjoy the music and think of him. I made us both a cup of tea because we were both on the verge of tears and then settled down and just had a natter. When she left all I could think about was how much she had treasured those 52 years and she said they had both been married before and they said there life started all over again when they found each other. It was all too romantic and full of love and hope that I couldn't not share it x

No comments:

Post a Comment